Episode 4: Before and After the "Outbreak"
Hype of the Week: Before and After the "Tornado Outbreak" on April 26th and 27th, 2016.
BEFORE THE "OUTBREAK"
- Is there such a thing as too much lead time when discussing potential severe weather? - By Dr. Marshall Shepherd
- When talking about severe weather, what does the term "outbreak" mean? - NWS Norman Facebook Post
- Tornado outbreak days: an updated and expanded climatology (1875 - 2003) - By Schneider et al. 2004
AFTER THE "OUTBREAK"
- A Twist to Tuesday's Severe Weather: Tornadoes Missing - By Bob Henson, Weather Underground
- U.S. forecasters will review whether they went too far out on a limb to warn people about bad weather that didn't fully develop - By Kelly Kissel, Associated Press
- Was Yesterday's Severe Weather Forecast a Bust? - By Dr. Marshall Shepherd, Forbes
- Update on the term "Outbreak." See below for frequency of terms used. - Rick Smith, NWS Norman Office
A Slice of Pop Culture:
- This American Life - Episode 186 "Prom" Act 1
- While the seniors danced, a tornado hit the town, destroying about a third of it. When they emerged from the dance, they discovered what had happened, and in the weeks that followed, they tried to explain to themselves why the tornado hit where it did. Description provided by This American Life.
- The Viral Tornado Prom Photo from Wray, CO (below)
- Discussion on the Wray, CO Prom Photo in WAS*IS Students
Photo provided by Alie Jolie Marintzer (Facebook)
Song of the Week: